HEARTY, HEALTHY BEAN & RICE CONCOCTION - FOR 300 CALORIES?!
This truly was a tasty meal. I was trying to find something low calorie but still as natural as possible and most of all, as delicious as possible.
Cannelini beans are great and so easy to use. Brown rice is full of fibre and I'm just rediscovering how delicious and versatile celery is. Mixed with subtle tomato, garlic and chilli flavours, this dish is a quick and easy option for a low calorie mid week dinner.
Tasty Beans & Rice
300 calories, serves 2
|Tasty beans & rice|
1 can of cannellini beans (drained and rinsed, usually 240gm left)
120gm of uncooked brown rice
1 large garlic clove
1 tbsp fresh basil
1 tbsp fresh chives
1 small red chilli
2 cups celery (or any finely chopped crunchy veg)
Salt & Pepper
- Olive oil
- Dressing, made of stirring together 1 tablespoon natural greek yoghurt; 1 teaspoon of lemon juice; 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard; dash of crushed garlic, salt and pepper.
1. Put the 100gm of uncooked brown rice in a pan and boil for 25-30 minutes depending on your preference.
2. Finely chop or mash the tomato and crush the garlic. Heat this up in a small pan.
Note: I don't like chunks of tomatoes, so I blended the tomato with the garlic at the start. It formed a nice pink sauce, hence no chunks of tomato in the photo.
3. Add the basil, chives, chilli and cannellini beans. Season with salt and pepper. Let this simmer for 15 minutes. Add some olive oil if you aren't restricting calories; I didn't, but it would be even more amazing if you did.
3. Once the rice has absorbed all the water, add the cannellini mixture and the 2 cups of chopped celery. Stir to combine. Optional: Top with a drizzle of olive oil and yoghurt dressing.